Our Footprint: Safeguarding Our Environment
We aim to develop our business while improving our environmental performance, to ensure a more sustainable supply of natural resources and raw ingredients goes into making our products. We continue to play our part in helping to reduce food loss and waste by improving processes along our value chain, from farm to fork.
We track our environmental performance at all Canadian factories, so we understand our current impact and can plan for future opportunities to improve.
- In Canada, all of our factories are ISO14001 certified.
- As of June 2019, our Toronto Factory diverts 100% of landfill waste to an electrical co-generation plant, where it’s used to create electricity and steam to power a nearby paper plant. By using our waste, this plant generates enough electricity annually to power 6,000 homes.
- In 2014-2015, we invested in our waste management and thanks to focused improvement projects we have achieved zero waste to landfill in our ice-cream factory in London, Ontario, as well as our chocolate factory in Toronto.
- The Nestlé Professional Plant in Trenton, Ontario has reached zero waste to landfill (March 2015). To reach this objective, organic waste is used to produce biogas through a partnership with a local farming operation. This biogas is then combusted to generate electricity and heat. The digester at the local farm has the capacity to generate 750 kilowatts of electricity, which is enough to power over 500 households.
- The Nestlé Purina PetCare plant in Mississauga has also started working towards the goal of zero waste to landfill by the year 2020. The teams are implementing a plan to divert the compactor waste to energy in place of landfill.