Sometimes you may find it necessary to substitute one ingredient for another in a recipe. Try these popular ingredient substitutions:
- Use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream to top your baked potato or to add creaminess to a soup
- Forgot to buy buttermilk? Try adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and let stand for 5 minutes before using.
- Reducing your sugar intake? Use powdered milk to substitute up to ¼ of the granulated sugar in baking recipes. Also try using fruit puree, applesauce or mashed bananas to replace some of the sugar and fat in muffins and cookies.
- Don’t have breadcrumbs in the pantry? Try using panko, crushed cracker crumbs or crushed cornflakes.
- You can also bake bread slices in a single layer in the oven until the bread is completely dry and lightly browned, and then give it a whirl in your food processor.